Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Ole! Yummy Enchiladas

So as promised, I thought I'd do my first "Food Favorites" post. This one is for last week. It is an easy peasy enchilada recipe! It's one of mine & Brew's favorite things to eat :)


You'll need:

- 1lb of lean ground beef (or two medium-large chicken breasts, if you prefer. You can also use other ground meats. I've even used ground venison and it turned out really good!)
- small can of refried beans (these are optional-- Brew doesn't like them so I leave them out! If you do use beans, you might want to cut the meat in half)
- 2 cans of Enchilada sauce (I use Old El Paso brand, either medium or mild)
- about 12 small tortillas (you can use either corn or flour, corn is most authentic)
- 2 cups of mexican-blend shredded cheese
- a frying pan (for beef) or 2qt pot (for chicken)
- mixing bowl/spoon
- baking pan (I think the one I use is 11x7 or something)


Step 1: Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.

Step 2: Brown ground beef.
Drain if needed. (If you are making chicken enchiladas, cook the chicken breasts in a pot of water, then shred the chicken)


Step 3: Combine 1 can of enchilada sauce, the cooked meat, 1 cup of shredded cheese, (and if you wish, the refried beans), in a mixing bowl.


Step 4: Heat the tortillas according to package directions (note- for corn tortillas, be sure to follow the stovetop heating directions. I've found if you heat them in the microwave, they break really easily)

Step 5: Spoon desired amount of filling into tortilla, roll up, and place in baking pan. I usually put a big, heaping, tablespoon or two in each one. When you put them in the pan, they should be touching. It's ok to squeeze them in :)


Step 6: Pour second can of enchilada sauce over the enchiladas

Step 7: Sprinkle remaining cheese on top A lot of times I'll throw a little extra on there too. But we love cheese :)


Step 8: Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until cheese is melted and sauce is bubbly.



That's it! I usually top with sour cream and fix some mexican rice (I use Knorr fiesta sides!) to go along with it. They also freeze pretty well. After I fix them, I will separate two at a time into smaller containers and freeze them for lunches later.

Here's the finished product (after we damaged about half of it! lol)


Comment & let me know if you try it & like it (or don't like it for that matter lol) Or if you have any variations on this recipe you'd like to add!

No comments: