Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Food, glorious food...

Before I do my food favorite post this week (I'm going to try and do it Saturday!) I wanted to update you on what we're doing!

So we're going to try and change our diets a bit.  Several reasons-- one, Brew wants to lose some weight, and I'd like to at least maintain my weight, two, we both have crappy genes (heart disease, high blood pressure, diabetes, blood clots, the list goes on...) so we really NEED to be eating healthier, and lastly I just want to develop better habits that I can teach my kiddos someday.

That being said-- we can't change it all at once.  Mainly because I'm not just going to throw out perfectly good food we have in our cabinets.  And two, this is a change.  A permanent change.  Not a diet or whatever.  But we also know that we have to have treats sometimes.  So on date nights, and other special occasions- we can eat whatever we want.  Seriously who wants to eat a salad at Thanksgiving?  Yeah.  So this is really more of trying to change our habits, and to buy better foods at the grocery store.

Some examples of the changes I'm making...
  • We always buy wheat bread because Brew prefers it, but we're switching to whole wheat for all breads-- including buns and bagels.
  • I'm buying more fruits instead of sweet snacks.
  • Switching to pretzels, and baked crackers, baked chips, etc. instead of regular chips
  • Whole wheat pastas instead of regular pastas
  • Buying "light" or "low-cal" or "fat free" salad dressings and sauces.  Brew & I are ranch addicts so I can't give it up completely, but the light Ranch has less than 100 cal a serving :)
  • I'm acknowledging I do not HAVE to have a "carb" at every meal.  It's ok to have meat and veggies only :)  So with that, I've bought more frozen veggies.
  • I've already made this change before- I don't buy any regular pop anymore (unless I know we're having guests).  Instead it's all diet, plus I buy bottled water with crystal light packets, and I've cut down on the sugar I put in my iced tea.   I still make tea with sugar because since I've cut back on caffeine since we've been trying to get pregnant, I only have it once a day anyway.

Now I can't adhere to this perfectly.  I always buy a couple frozen or skillet meals for days that I don't feel like or don't have time to cook.  And I'm sure they are not always great for you.  But I'm just trying to make some small changes.

So don't be surprised if you see more "healthy" recipes I'm sharing... And while I'm at it I always love new things to try (especially EASY recipes, as I'm no gourmet chef here ;))  So please feel free to share them with me!

Ok that's all for now!  Promise I'll have a recipe up for this weekend.

No comments: