Saturday, July 13, 2013

Homemade laundry detergent

Guess what I made today!

 
No that's not edible (though it does remind me of cheese...). It's homemade powder laundry detergent!

I found this recipe on Pinterest (I will link it as soon as I edit this on the computer). I had always shied away from homemade detergent before because most of the recipes I had seen were for liquid and involved cooking and melting and then shaking before each use, etc etc. too much work for me. Besides I was pretty attached to Gain. 

But we are working on Dave Ramsay's baby steps to financial peace (more on that later- we are still on the first one) so we are trying to cut costs as much as possible so I thought now would be the time to try it!

It's super easy and very cheap. Three ingredients!  I found them at Kroger but I know Walmart carries it too.

You will need one bar of Fels-Naptha (or ivory works too) soap, 1c of Borax, and 1c of washing soda.  Just grate the soap up, then combine it with the borax and washing soda and that is it!  Use 1tbsp per load (can use 2tbsp for heavy soil). 

I did my first load of laundry with it today and it was a success!  Smells fresh and clean and it did a good job getting dried baby food off of Jackson's bibs!  It is definitely something I'm keeping up with. I have tons of borax and washing soda left so when I run out of this batch I just have to buy the soap. 

Let me know in the comments if you try this!

No comments: