Friday, February 17, 2012

New Recipes!

Hey everyone-- so I thought I'd share with you some of the new recipes I've tried over the last month and half.  Part of my New Years Resolution this year is to try one new recipe a month.  Well thanks to Pinterest, I've far exceeded that!  Here are the new recipes I've tried this month.  Most have links to the recipes, and there are a couple at the end that I sort of made up myself!  I also included any modifications I made to them as well.  Hope you can try them and that you enjoy them too!

Chicken & Cheese Stuffed Croissant Rolls
This is NOT my picture-- came from recipe link!

Things I changed with this recipe-- I actually made this twice.  The first time I followed it exactly, and found that the rolls were a little doughy for my taste and it was hard to roll the shredded cheese into them.  So the second time I made this, I increased both the temperature (to 375) and the cooking time by a couple minutes and they came out much better.  Of course, this could just be a difference in ovens.  I also only mixed the soup with HALF a can of milk instead of a whole can.  I liked it better thicker.  And finally, the second time I used Velveeta cheese sliced into cubes.  I think *real* cheese cubes would be good too, I just happened to have Velveeta instead.


Tater Tot Casserole
Again, not my image
 This one I followed exactly without any modifications.  It was pretty good!  This isn't the same recipe as the Duggars tater tot casserole, this one uses ground beef and cheese.  I might try it next time with ground turkey though!  I also think it would be a good breakfast casserole using ground pork sausage instead of beef.  (And maybe sausage gravy instead of cream of mushroom soup???  Ooh the possibilities!)



The last few recipes were ones that I just sort of made up.  And I failed and didn't get a picture of them (sorry-- I'll try to remember for next time!)

Cheese and Avocado Quesadillas
I've been wanting to try and work with avocados more, so I bought a couple at Aldi to experiment.  I used CandidMommy's YouTube video on how to slice them.

This recipe is super easy...
1- Grease a small skillet (I used non-stick cooking spray)
2- Place a taco-size flour tortilla on the skillet, cover with avocado slices, mexican blend shredded cheese, and then I added some Southwestern seasoning that I bought locally at the Bob Evans Farm Festival  (I think a dash of taco seasoning would work well too), then cover with a second tortilla.
3- Once first side is golden brown, flip and toast other side too.
4- Transfer to plate, cut into wedges with a pizza cutter, and enjoy!  I served it with sour cream and salsa!


Avocado Spread
This was kind of a half-attempt at guacamole.  I'm sure if I had it available and added pico de gallo it would've made instant guac, but I was just working with what I had.  I just cut an avocado into slices, added garlic powder and salt to taste, then mashed it into a puree with a fork.  I ate it with tortilla chips and cheese as a snack.  It would also be really good on a turkey sub or something.  It kept well for a few days in the fridge!


Turkey Burgers
I had never made turkey burgers before, but I know ground turkey tends to be more bland than say ground beef or venison so I knew I'd have to season them somehow.  Several recipes online called for using an onion soup mix to season the patties.  Since I didn't have that, I made the patties and seasoned them generously with salt, pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder.  It turned out REALLY well-- even hubby approved and he's not generally a big fan of ground turkey.  I melted some cheddar-jack cheese on top and served them on toasted buns with lettuce, tomato, and mayo.  I bet the avocado would be good on it too (going to try that next time!)


And the last recipe was inspired by a Pinterest one, originally calling for marshmallows too, but I left those out and made some...

Chocolate Croissants
All you need for this is a tube of refrigerated Crescent Roll dough and some semi-sweet chocolate chips!
Just roll in about a teaspoon full of chocolate chips up with the crescent roll triangles, and bake according to the directions on the tube!  These are best warm right out of the oven!  I also sprinkled some extra sugar on top before serving.  Seriously the simplest dessert ever-- could also make a good breakfast pastry.  And actually is NOT that calorie-laden.  :)



This next month I'm hoping to try some slow-cooker chicken and dumplings, and a few soup and dessert recipes.  Follow me on Pinterest.  I have a recipe ideas board there and literally all of my ideas have come from there so far!   I'll be sure to continue to share my recipes with you!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks Melissa, now I'm STARVING!! Can't wait til hubby gets home so we can EAT!